Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Album Review: Trey Songz "Ready"
Trey Songz is back with his 3rd solo record, entitled "Ready". Finally I think Trey gets it. Vocally this is the most consistent album he has released so far... below is my track by track breakdown
1. Panty Dropper (interlude)- clearly he is making a statement out of the gate...R. kelly influence is so prevalent here.
2. Neighbors Know My Name- Trey exclaims because he loves his girl so hard and her screaming makes the neighbors know his name...LOL... I can definitely hear this on the radio. He connects on the falsetto and the music is great. Certainly a late night banger.
3. I Invented Sex feat Drake- Here songs teams up with rapper of the moment Drake and creates a listenable record. Drake and Trey blends well together. No vocal challenges here but I wouldnt necessarily hit skip on the Ipod.
4. I Need A Girl- At first I was really digging this track but as I listened to the whole album I noted the desperation to re-create his hit Can't Help But Wait from his last album and I got turned off from it. But this is a Johnta Austin penned track so it gets a pass.
5. One Love- is produced by Bryan Michael Cox. The song is catchy and features a rock edge which works well with Trey's vocals.
6. Does He Do It- typical Trey... solid and catchy
7. Say Aahh- produced by long time collaborator Troy Taylor. Solid and good verse from Fabolous.
8. LOL:-) (feat. Gucci Mane and Soulja Boy Tell 'Em) - I tried to resist this tune, but it just seems to seep into your head and won't let go which means it will likely be a hit. Tune feat Gucci Mane and Soulja Boy. It sounds like a nursery rhyme but I do think Trey recorded for effect and not meant it as a defining record
9. Ready to Make Love- Another Interlude
10. Jupiter Love- babymaker.. straight up
11. Be Where You Are- Here Trey experiments with a faster electo dance sound and surprisingly it works for him..i dont need an album of it but it works in context of the album
12. Successful feat Drake- not much else to say about this track.. its all over Radio and deserves to be.
13. Black Roses- song about dying love....Trey sounds great on this track.. Troy Taylor really knows Trey's strengths as a vocalist
14. Love Lost-solid track
15. Hollerlude- another interlude
16. Holla If You Need Me- for some reason i keep getting a 80's vibe from this production. I LOVE IT
17. Yo Side of the Bed- MY FAVORITE TRACK ON THE ALBUM. This song is like a Prince meets R. Kelly. Trey puts emotion and delivers a stellar vocal on this track. Wishing his girl was still on her side of the bed... just a great record.
I expect this album to put Trey on another level, which I think he deserves. He has grown tremendously. I have been on Team Trey since Day 1 and while I have had issues with his musical choices in the past I think he is learning and growing and the result is this album... so get READY for Trey Songz.....
9 out of 10.... FIRE
Posted by 3 Bruthas Passing Judgement... at 3:58 PM