Friday, March 6, 2009

Top 10 Rappers of All Time

I tried to comprise this list with as many objective factors as possible.. but lets face it.. it all about what I like...lol... (I reserve the right to change this list..lol) can't wait to see the other 2 lists from my other 2 Bruthas.

10. Outkast

This duo from Atlanta really brought Southern Rap to the mainstream and broke all the rules. From Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik to Idlewild. This duo challenged the norm and began to set the standard. Its ok to be different and Kast showed and proved. 3 classic back to back album. For me the crown jewel was Aquemini. One listen to Da Art of Storytelling and you'll be hooked.

9. Snoop Doggy Dogg

The only West Coast rapper to make my list. Nobody rocked 1993 quite like Snoop Dogg. Snoop had a melodic flow that went hard and could rock a party.

1, 2, 3 and to the 4.. Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr Dre is at the door... NUFF SAID

8. Jay-Z

Probably one of the most influential rapper of the last 10 years. Not just his rapping but his business swagger. I personally feel that the Jiggaman has fallen off his game the past few albums but I still think his first 3 albums were bangers and earns him a spot on this list.

7. KRS-One

The "teacher" makes the list. I feel KRS One is one of the most confused and loquaciousrapper/activists ever. With such social commentary like Black Cop, party bangers like Step Into A World, and his classic period with BDP..he deserves a spot on the list.

6. LL Cool J

The self proclaimed G.O.A.T. no one has been in the game longer than Ladies Love. From I Need A Beat to Doin It to Baby(lol). I feel like I grew up with LL Cool J.. he has been consistent ( sans that Phenomenon crap) and has 13 albums, for rappers that is a miracle.

5. MC Lyte

The only female MC on my list. I know many wont agree with this position but think about it. Lyte entered the boys club and beat most of the boys. She battled a few wack females but she had swagger and skills to take on the boys too. Her catalog is classic.. 10% Dis, Paper Thin(still one of the hottest rap records EVER), Cha Cha Cha(I still know every word), Ruffneck and her opus Poor Georgie. No one could tell a story quite like MC. Lyte.

4. Scarface

I know many are scratching their heads....one listen to A Minute to Pray and A Second to Die and you'll know why I fell in love with Mr. Scarface. The true King of the South. His tales of death, drugs, murder and violence was too much for some but for me I love a story and imagery and Scarface provided it in spades. Scarface owns my favorite Rap song of All Time.. I Seen a Man Die. One listen and you can envision the story he is telling.

3. Notorious BIG/Tupac

I lumped these two together. Two of the most influential rappers ever. Pac and Biggie (due to the East Coast vs West Coast beef) will forever be inextricably linked. Biggie was the better rapper but Pac was interesting and was very informed. Biggie was an excellent MC but I dont think he was ever as diverse as Pac. I recall 1995 being an awesome year.. I couldnt decide between Ready To Die or Me Against the World. Two talents gone too soon.

2. Nas

Illmatic.. Nuff said...lol

1. Rakim

No one did it better than Rakim Allah..lol.. when the beats drops on I Aint No Joke...its a wrap. Rakim flows effortlessly. Again another storyteller. From Microphone fiend to Eric B is President to My Melody.

One of the best rap "love songs" of all time..

Mahogany

I packed my mic as they screamed for an encore
The speakers were blown, plus my mic was sore
Besides I got places to go, ladies to see
And she could tell me how crazy she was over me
We drove off - she said she liked the way that I performed
And couldn't wait to get 'soft and warm', I said,
I've been watchin' you, watchin' me
Looks I received made it hard to MC
I can take a hint, so I knew that she
Wanted my Agony Agony Ag-on-y in her bod-y
Showed her some sights, then I took her to the Condo
She was pipin' hot, but I kept my calm So
She asked how come I don't smile
I said, Everything's fine, but I'm in a New York state of mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment